Heart of Indiana VITA Program - Intake-Only Site Partners
As part of our commitment to helping our neighbors achieve financial stability, Heart of Indiana United Way is proud to be a VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) Site for our region.
For the past two tax seasons, we have served as a public VITA site for Madison County. Beginning this tax season, we are expanding our intake-only sites to include any partnering organization that wants to provide VITA to their clients.
What does an intake-only site do? An intake-only site would be able to provide free tax assistance to their clients and/or to the public based on their preference. Tax return preparation and review will be done by United Way’s virtual volunteer preparers. As an intake-only site your staff would:
- Explain the virtual tax preparation process, and how clients’ state and federal tax returns will be prepared and electronically filed (paper filing is available but not recommended)
- Review the Intake/Interview & Quality Review Sheet (Form 13614-C, filled out by the client) for accuracy and completion
- Review the United Way local intake sheet for accuracy and completion
- Make certain the client’s return is not out-of-scope for the VITA program (type of income, amount of income, etc.)
- Review the forms of client identification for proof of identity (must be an IRS-allowed form of ID)
- Review the documents needed for tax return preparation (W-2s, social security statements, pension statements, etc.)
- Scan and upload all forms of identification, form 13614-C, local intake sheet, and documents to a designated virtual site
- Return all documentation to the client
- Delete all scanned files. Sites do not maintain any clients’ documentation physically or digitally.
What’s required? Any of your staff serving as VITA intake “volunteers” will need to complete two IRS certifications, the 2022 Volunteer Standards of Conduct and the 2022 Intake/Interview and Quality Review Exam through the IRS Link and Learn. These are both 10 questions each and can be done “open book”. Optional, additional training can be found at VITA-Train through Prosperity Now. Module 1 provides information needed for the IRS exams.
Your organization will be considered a VITA intake-only site under the Heart of Indiana United Way’s VITA Program for IRS purposes but we can have you listed as “Closed to Public” if you so choose.
Partners interested in becoming a VITA intake-only site should contact Kim Rogers-Hatfield for more information.