DAY OF ACTION - Project Site Application
Overview and Application Instructions
Friday, September 9, 2022, is Heart of Indiana United Way’s Day of Action. On this day volunteers from around Delaware County will come together to serve motivated partnering nonprofits. United Way will match participating nonprofits with motivated volunteers from local businesses and service groups who dedicate their time and effort to improving our community. Although volunteers might be working on projects not directly related to the nonprofit’s mission, Day of Action is a unique opportunity to educate community members about the important work your nonprofit does for the community.
If your nonprofit is interested in participating in Day of Actions as a volunteer project site, please complete the application below and submit it by 5 pm on August 5, 2022.
Applying organizations are not guaranteed to participate in Day of Action. Project approval will be made according to the number of volunteers available, project viability, and volunteer feedback from previous Day of Action events.
Applications for volunteer service sites are due by August 5, 2022. Nonprofits will be notified about project approval and volunteer placement by August 26, 2022.
8:30 am – 12:00 pm Morning project shift at agency sites
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm Volunteers’ lunch break
1:00 pm – 4:30 pm Afternoon project shift at nonprofit sites
4:30 pm Group Photos and “Thank You”s
Participating nonprofits can apply to have volunteers for a specific shift, or all day.
Based on volunteer feedback, we would also like to offer 1-hour volunteer opportunities within each shift so people in business attire are able to volunteer to do no mess or low mess tasks and then return to their jobs. This is a great opportunity for homework help, reading, tutoring, inventory, filing, etc.
Service Project Examples
Day of Action in the past has included: indoor/outdoor painting, office cleaning, sorting donations, neighborhood cleanups, serving meals, reading to children, landscaping/lawn work, assembling informational packets, etc.
Requirements for Nonprofits Participating in Day of Action
- Assume that volunteers will need training on the project when they arrive at the work site. Allow time for an overview of the nonprofit’s work and mission, a tour of the facility, and orientation to work site.
- Show appreciation fo rvolunteers taking time away from their schedule to assist your nonprofit.
- Materials needed to complete Day of Action projects are the responsibility of the participating nonprofit and must be obtained and in place prior to September 9th. In some cases, volunteers can be asked to bring things such as shovels, gloves, etc.; but the nonprofit must specify this on the application.
- Nonprofits must provide water for volunteers at the work site(s).
- Nonprofits are welcome to provide lunch for the volunteers at their project site at their own expense. Lunch with the volunteers is another great opportunity to connect the volunteers to the nonprofit’s work. If lunch is not provided, nonprofits much inform volunteers that they are responsible for their own lunch.
- Develop a backup list of activities in case the group finishes your projects early.
- Each participating nonprofit with an outdoor project is responsible for making a backup project plan in case of bad weather. If that is not possible, please note this on the application.
- Projects are accepted at the sole discretion of the Day of Action committee, which has the right to deny a nonprofit’s application to participate.
- Nonprofits must have Liability Insurance covering volunteers working at their project site and must upload a Certificate of Liability with the project application below.
- By submitting an application, you are agreeing to the above participating requirements.