Read and Achieve
THE GOAL: ALL THIRD GRADERS READING AT GRADE LEVEL
Why is reading on grade level by 3rd grade so important?
Experts tell us a child’s ability to read at grade level by third grade is the single greatest predictor of future success because this is when they transition from learning to read to reading to learn. When a child falls behind in reading, they risk falling further behind in every subject. By helping children to reach this goal, we are helping to put them on the path to lifelong success.
Life-Changing Strategies at work:
- Dolly Parton Imagination Library, providing books each month to nearly 2,000 children ages birth to 5
- Read United, United Way volunteers working in schools to help struggling readers
- Book Nooks and Literacy Kits giving families books, supplies and how-to’s to having quality interactive learning and fun
- Summer book giveaways to help children maintain and improve their reading skills during the summer
- Blast off to Kindergarten events, helping children get ready and transition to their first year of school successfully
- On My Way Pre K – funding to help offer a free year of quality childcare for 4-year old’s or qualified, low-income families